Woman paralyzed by hickey

A 44 year old woman in New Zealand presented with partial paralysis at Auckland’s Middlemore Hospital emergency department; after examination, the doctors concluded that she’d suffered a mild stroke caused by a hickey near a major artery in her neck. She recovered after being treated with anti-coagulant.

“Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel. There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was.”

Wu said the clot dislodged and traveled to the woman’s heart, where it caused a minor stroke that led to the loss of movement.

“We looked around the medical literature and that example of having a love bite causing something like that hasn’t been described before,” he said.

Via Boing Boing

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under funny, lifestyle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s